About Metal Braces - The Benefits
- Most common type of braces.
- Most affordable type of braces.
- Smaller, flatter, and more comfortable today than in the past.
- Made of high-grade stainless steel.
- Excellent, proven results in straightening teeth.
How metal braces move the teeth
The archwire is bent to mirror the shape of your teeth the way you want them to look. As the wire attempts to straighten itself out, it puts pressure on your teeth and this force gradually moves them over time.
What To Expect Before Placement
Not everyone is a good candidate for braces. Before braces are placed, your orthodontist must determine whether or not braces are appropriate for your situation. Dental X-rays, molds, and impressions help your orthodontist determine the best course of action to take. If your orthodontist determines you are a good candidate for braces, then you will be ready for placement.
- Apply the high-grade metal brackets to the front of each tooth using an adhesive.
- Insert the archwires between the brackets.
- Fasten them down using fitted ligatures (i.e. elastics).
A Painless 3-Step Placement Process
What to Expect After Placement
After initial placement, braces must be adjusted every month or two to keep constant pressure on the teeth. This pressure is what gradually moves the teeth closer and closer together for a straightened appearance. Traditional metal braces can take anywhere between six months to two and a half years for full treatment.
Any Questions? Let Us Help!
If you have any questions regarding traditional metal braces or other options we offer such as Invisalign®, please contact us or call our Orthodontics practice in Las Vegas at 702.660.2256 to assist you with your questions and concerns.
A consultation with our orthodontist can help you determine which type of braces are the best fit based on your needs.